Friday, June 15, 2012

Product Test - Bob's Red Mill Chocolate Cake Mix


Over the next few weeks, we will be testing 4 of Bob's Red Mill Mixes, and we chose to start with the Chocolate Cake Mix. All I have to say is Wow!!! Since we have been Gluten Free, this has been the best cake we have tasted. The instructions were super simple to follow, and didn't require any special ingredients such as buttermilk as others did, and no extra steps such as stand time before baking. Aside from the the packaging, this was the closest thing to conventional "glutenous" cake mix. I didn't have 2 eight inch cake pans, so I used 1 ten inch round deep cake pan. The cake was done at exactly in the time  the instructions called for. For the icing you could use a Betty Crocker pre-made, but I decided to step out of my comfort zone and make homemade. I used the recipe on the back of the Hershey's Cocoa. Here it is:

1 Stick of Butter
2/3 Cup Hershey's Cocoa
3 Cups Powdered Sugar
1/3 Cup Milk
1 Tsp Vanilla (Pure)

  1. Melt Butter. Stir in Cocoa. 
  2. Alternately add powdered Sugar and Milk, beating on med speed to spreading consistency. Add more Milk if needed. Stir in Vanilla. 


It was Absolutely Delicious!! Liz even had 2 pieces and she doesn't have a sweet tooth. To repeat an earlier post, Gluten Free does not have to be difficult. You don't have to make sacrifices, only substitutions. The key is to make the right substitutions, and we hit the Bull's Eye With this one!!


Bob's Red Mill products are available at most supermarkets, or online at the link below:






1 comment:

  1. I just want to say I was VERY nervous when it was cooking. All I smelled was chocolate and thought YUCK. When Steve cut a piece he went to cut me a piece and I said no thanks I will just test yours, LOL. WELL 1 bite and I was SHOCKED, it was by far THE BEST cake I have ever had. Reminded me of when I was a kid and went to Brooklyn to see my Dad's family and they would have dessert, YUMMY. It was a piece of cake that would be perfectly paired with a glass of milk. I am a total Carvel Cake girl, not the home baked cake person. WELL, my birthday is October 9th and I BETTER have 1 of these cakes waiting for me. It was so awesome to eat a G Free Dessert that was totally wonderful. Bob's Red Mill you have a total winner with this mix.

    ReplyDelete